Sunday, September 1, 2013

T Minus 41: Crushed

Today felt like my least productive day since getting to the island. First, I slept in until 10:00. After texting with The Hubby for a while, I napped from 1:00 until time to go to work.

My shift at work crawled by. I busied myself with meaningless tasks to try and make the time pass quicker. With virtually no sales, I finished the closing paperwork before Maureen showed up to give me a ride home. She mentioned that she didn't like my spreadsheet idea, though I never mentioned it to her. Apparently she read my note to the gallery owner about trying to improve the process. I just want to try and modernize things and make them run smoother as it can only help the shop owner. Oh well.

I showed her my watercolor beach scene and got a similarly negative reaction to that. She simply cast me in the same category as her 7 year old granddaughter and compared what I'd done to her granddaughters paintings in a coloring book. I felt that was a bit harsh and maybe more than a little belittling. I just let it wash though. I know her art background only comes from working in the gallery. Unlike nearly all of my coworkers at the Lahaina gallery, nobody at the Ka'anapali gallery is an artist. Oh well.

It only reminded me again why I prefer to work in the Lahaina gallery. Ipo creates amazing weavings. Jeska carries an art degree. Everyone there seems to have a better understanding of the artistic process and a deeper respect for other artists. I suppose my pride ended the day a bit bruised, but I know that nobody at the Lahaina gallery would compare me to a 7 year old.

Tomorrow, I hope to start a project I have in mind as well as finish up a few paintings I started last week. I also hope to wake up in a better mood!

Aloha!

4 comments:

  1. Retraction: I don't know much of the other kaanapali gallery employees to say they aren't artists. Intact there's one who I don't work with who is a potter/ceramicist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next time, color within the lines. lol Art is within the eye of the beholder. Don't let someones half assed comments stop or hold you back from being as creative as you are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Your granddaughter must be an excellent artist..." #whatyoushouldhavesaid

    ReplyDelete