Thursday, September 12, 2013

T Minus 29 and a half - Milestone

Hallelujah! I made it through the 30s. I crossed a big milestone today. Less than thirty means less than a month before I get to see the family. That's awesome!

Today, I worked the Lahaina gallery. On my way into town, I needed to stop by the bank and deposit a check. I used the drive-thru ATM. On the Pink Cruiser. Fun! I never thought I'd be using a drive-up ATM while riding a bicycle. That was a first. Probably not the last.

I crossed paths with John the mail carrier. He remembered my name today.

Of course, no trip to work is complete without a stop at Bad Ass for an iced coffee. After tying up the Pink Cruiser under the Banyan Tree, I stood talking story with the barista for a bit. Unfortunately, neither of us realized the lid on the coffee wasn't quite secure. I took my first drink and ended up with a small river of iced coffee running down the front of my shirt. Back at the gallery, I blotted it with a baby wipe and simply hoped few people would notice through the day. It was the only down point to an otherwise wonderful day.

The upside? I lost very little of the coffee down my shirt so I still had plenty to drink!

Today, I worked with Sandra. I love working with Sandra - so down to earth and understanding. Work was fun. Even better, I hit it out of the park today. I closed sales worth over $1,000! I danced a little jig, happy for the commissions that will be forthcoming on the next check.
A copper patina sculpture of the
island of Maui that I think I want

Throughout the day, I kept eyeing a copper patina sculpture of the island that hangs on the wall. I think it would look fantastic over the entrance to the condo. I toyed with the notion of buying it after racking up today's commissions but I held off. I might reconsider if it still hangs in the gallery next week when I work there again.

Sandra left at 6:00, giving me an hour or so to tend to the shop on my own and get things closed up. During a moment of relative calm in the gallery, I walked to the front of the store and looked towards the ocean. My timing turned out to be perfect - just before sunset with the sun streaming through the trees standing in the school yard separating the gallery from the beach. I couldn't resist running back into the shop and grabbing my phone for a picture before the light changed too much.
A gorgeous Maui sunset as seen
from the Maui Hands art gallery

After getting the shop closed up, I grabbed my 4 new books and headed towards the Pink Cruiser. The books? They came from a small used book store down the street I found today. During a shi shi break at the Wharf Cinema Center, I noticed the quiet little book store and poked my head in to ask what time they closed. The lady working suggested I look around. When I explained that I was only on a shi shi break and did not have my wallet, she told me to pick a few things out and come pay her later. The Hubby, who still prefers reading paper books to reading on electronic gadgets, will love this shop. Run by the Maui Friends of the Library, the store prices every book under $1 and all proceeds go to fund the library.

I made it home with my books and added them to my stash of crafting supplies. I never intended to read them. I intended to make things with them. You can read about that on TripleC if you're interested.

Aloha!

No comments:

Post a Comment