Wednesday, September 11, 2013

T minus 30.5 - Mail

The mail carriers in Lahaina seem to be really nice, at least every one I've had to deal with so far. Of course, I think it would be hard to be in a bad mood if your job was to walk around Lahaina talking to people and dropping off their mail, but maybe that's just me.

The mail carrier who serves our gallery on Front St, John, is a local guy. He knows everyone in the shop by name, though he's only now learning my name - he only sees me twice a week. He likes to bring gifts when he brings the mail as well. Yesterday, he shared some homemade jerky with Jeska and me. (Personally, I think he likes us haole girls.) The jerky was good - spicy! He does this often. I remember a time, before he became comfortable with me, he worked his way into the back of the shop by sneaking past me so that he could share some seasoned pretzels with Jeska. Cute.

The mail carrier that delivers my mail to the condo reminds me of the mail carrier we had back when we were newly married and first moved into a house. Super friendly. Today, my carrier promised me he would leave a package for me on the doorstep Thursday even if I wasn't home. You see, yesterday I received a notice that I needed to pick up a package at the post office. I walked over to the nearest post office, the one I assumed processed my mail, and discovered that my package actually waited for me at a different post office.

With no way to reach the other post office, I signed the little card telling them when they could deliver the package. I walked home and put the card into my mailbox so that my carrier would pick it when he delivered today. Upon doing so, he brought up my mail and a couple small packages, and that's when he told me my package would arrive on Thursday and he agreed to leave it even if I was out. Nice guy.
My latest creation

While standing outside talking with him, I noticed the weather was perfect. Ideal temps. Trade winds blowing. If felt beautiful. I popped back in the condo, turned off the A/C, opened up the windows, and enjoyed being on the island. I really hope this becomes the norm for us because our tiny 1-BR 600 sq ft condo took nearly $200 to keep cool during the first month I was here! Of course, The Hubby prefers it warm so I doubt we use the A/C much once he gets here...

The packages the mail guy brought today? Art supplies! That means I created some cool stuff today. If you're interested in that, pop over to TripleC to read about that.

Aloha!

No comments:

Post a Comment