Tuesday, September 3, 2013

T Minus 39: The Same, Only Different

The new dryer showed up today. When I first moved into the condo, I found a shiny new dryer sitting in the middle of the living room. The landlord hauled off the old dryer and moved the new dryer out on the lanai to discover...it failed to fit in the closet thingy where it needs to be.
Side note: Our dryer sits outside, on a 2nd floor lanai. Now taking odds on how many socks end up on the ground below the condo...
Anyway, the landlord contacted Lowe's to see about getting the issue resolved. Eventually, everyone settled on swapping the new dryer for a different one, one that would fit. After a couple missed deadlines, the landlord kindly come out to jerry rig the ill-fitting dryer so that I could do some laundry.
Super grainy shot of the rearranged bedroom

Today, Lowe's delivered the replacement new dryer. I requested today off work because nobody could tell me what time they would be here. At 7:30 this morning, when the phone ringing rudely woke me up earlier than any human should ever be forced to get up, they told me they estimated their arrival in about an hour. 7:30 is early, painfully early. I threw on some clothes and laid back in bed until they knocked on the door.

Here is where our story starts to get funny. The new dryer, exactly like the dryer it replaces, failed to fit into the closet thingy on the lanai. The new dryer, exactly like the dryer it replaces, sits on the lanai jerry rigged to be usable until a different solution to the problem presents itself. So, it's the same...only different. Not only did nothing today solve any problems but had they informed me prior to 7:30 this morning that they intended to be here before the sun rose, I avoid losing an entire day's wages because we finish up in time for me to make it to work for my shift.
One of the mermaids I painted today

At least I can still do laundry and, when the landlord returns to the island in a month or so, he can retrofit the newest dryer with some rig that converts it to a side venting instead of rear venting. According to the Lowe's delivery dudes, that conversion solves all our problems. I wonder if this dryer will be in the closet thingy by the time The Hubby arrives on the island...

With nothing to do and nowhere to be after the Lowe's delivery dudes left, I chatted with The Hubby for a while. Than, I slammed into a wall and needed a nap. I don't nap often but I needed one today in a bad way. An hour later I felt completely refreshed, human. I even felt like painting! I made a couple attempts at free-handing a mermaid. I impressed myself. I feel they turned out pretty good.

Still feeling industrious, I rearranged the bedroom. I like the bed better in its new position. I also think it gives more room for the dresser once it arrives. I sat at the shelf/desk/thing in the window nook and converted one of my composition books into an art journal that will get filled with anything that I find interesting.
The shelf/desk/thing in the bedroom
as it looked the day I moved in

Sitting at the shelf/desk/thing made me realize it sits too low. I made plans for The Hubby to alter it once he's here, move it higher so that one - mostly me - pulls up a chair to sit there without crushing their knee caps. My knee caps, in particular, need no more bashing in this lifetime!

Maybe when The Hubby gets here we can go hike a couple places. I should rephrase that. When The Hubby gets to the island, he will start hiking. Maybe I will go with him. Before we moved to Maui, I almost worked up enough courage to go hike the Virgin River in Zion again - you know, that place where I shattered my knees and ended up missing 2 months of work due to surgeries, etc. Yeah, I actually intended to go back. Since that option no longer seems viable, perhaps a hike deep into I'ao Canyon or boulder hopping up a creek along the road to Hana like The Hubby did last year might be in order. We shall see.
The shelf/desk/thing in the bedroom covered
with all my stuff I have nowhere to store

Having ran into an artistic block yesterday, I spent some time on NetFlix last night. Sure enough, I found another show to get hooked on for a few days - Supernatural. The ghost things always seem to draw me in despite their corniness. The final episode I watched before falling asleep last night was about Bloody Mary - so overdone! So, time for a few more episodes of Supernatural before I fall asleep.

Aloha!

No comments:

Post a Comment