Sunday, August 11, 2013

T Minus 62: Recovering

It feels so nice to sleep so soundly. I wake up feeling better each morning but I'm still not 100%. I wish the boat carrying my mattress would get here a little sooner. The shipping tracker site says it is now due to arrive Thursday. Sure that's a day earlier than I was expecting it, but about 5 days longer than I want to put up with the air bed back aches. Still, I laid on my fairly uncomfortable air bed for a long time before I decided to finally get up.

Maybe part of the reason I stayed in bed so long was because I was still awake at 3:00am this morning. Around that time, I saw a tweet from The Hubby. Since he was awake, and I was still awake, I dashed off a text to him wishing him a happy anniversary. He told me I was supposed to be sleeping, so I finally fell asleep. Something kept me awake until just the right moment, though...

After I got up, I watched the first season of Weeds for a bit. This show reminds me a lot of my childhood - suburban southern california child with pot smoking parents. I never took part, kind of like the character Shane, but I was never as weird as he is.

After some texting with The Hubby, I tossed a Hot Pocket into the toaster oven. It was actually pretty good. The bread part got nice & crispy, completely unlike what happens when you cook one of these in the microwave.

I lay back down to watch some more TV when I hear a rattling on the screen door. Someone calls out, "It's Maureen." My Maui Momma has come to check up on me. She thinks I sound a lot better but that I still look pale and pasty - The Hubby said I looked pale earlier too. She asked if I needed anything from the grocery so I decided to tag along with her and pick up a few things.

Ready for some sticker shock? I only used a hand basket in the store. I got no meat or milk, which are two of the most expensive things on the island. I grabbed a couple frozen pizzas, popsicles, catsup, 2 bagels, cream cheese, 1 potato, shredded cheese, a box of veggie burger patties, toilet paper, and a small colander. The total tab was more than $50. It will be so nice to have my kitchen here in October so I can start cooking instead of buying processed food.

Speaking of processed food, what does one do with American cheese? Neither The Hubby nor I are fans of the pasty yellow slabs of goo. A package of cheese was among the things that my Maui Momma stocked my fridge with the other day, though, and I don't want it to go to waste. I made a grilled cheese sandwich in the toaster oven. That's about the only thing I can think of to use it for, though.

It is nice having more options that just Ramen, though. Ramen gets boring no matter how many different ways you find to doctor it up. My new colander came in handy for dinner when I used it to strain some pasta and make a cold pasta salad. That was definitely a nice change of pace.

Groceries stashed, belly full, I turned to coloring my hair with a box of dye I picked up last week. I usually have the stylist color my hair when I get it cut, and it really needs cut, but I have not yet put forth the effort to find someone I trust to do it.

I spent the rest of my 17th wedding anniversary watching Weeds and texting with The Hubby until his phone battery died. Tomorrow I think I will feel well enough to return to work though Maureen, of course, said to call her in the morning if I still felt bad.

Aloha!

No comments:

Post a Comment