Friday, August 23, 2013

T Minus 50: Blackout

I hate alarms. When mine went off this morning, I realized I still had 2 hours left to get the doors open at the gallery. I poked the snooze button and tried to get a few more minutes sleep. The next time the alarm intruded on my dreams, I decided I better get up and get going. I toasted up a new kind of bagel - flax, poppy seed, and sesame seeds - that tasted a bit like popcorn without the butter. With a schmear of cream cheese, it tasted pretty good actually.

I surveyed my limited clothing options. When we planned this bit of me being on the island for three months, I brought enough decent clothes to be able to find a job. I need the rest of my wardrobe! I finally opted on an orangish-pinkish number I picked up on the island somewhere. The day of blacks, tans, and greys are behind me. I dress in a much more colorful tropical fashion these days. I still wear black shorts. Black shorts pair with anything. Besides, I simply can't bring myself to wear hot pink shorts.

I checked my tote. Hot Pocket? Yes. Frozen grapes? Yes. Bad Ass coffee cup? Yes. All the important things accounted for, I unlocked the Pink Cruiser and hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go. I followed my new favorite routine for the days I work in the Lahaina gallery - park the bike under the Banyan Tree, grab a $1 iced coffee refill from Bad Ass, throw open the doors to the gallery.

I suppose I must be doing something right. My bosses informed me that starting next month I will pick up some commission shifts at the Lahaina gallery. I like the sounds of that.

Front St experienced a bit of excitement today. The power went out all along the harbor. Nobody seemed to know why but nobody seemed to be really upset either. This apparently happens with some regularity. We closed up shop, as did everyone else up and down the street, and I headed home with the understanding that the power might come back on and I would need to come back to the shop. The way people talked, though, I expected I was done for the day.

Sure enough, though, I barely had time to get home before my phone rang. Jeska said the power was back on in record time. I promised to head that way after I ate some lunch. This meant an extra 2 miles on the Pink Cruiser today! Thankfully, my legs seem to be getting used to it. I still get a bit sore but not nearly as bad as when I first started riding it. I peddle slow. After all, I'm not in the Tour D'France or anything. And, you know, island time, brah!

Back at the gallery, I met another of the artists we represent, Mario from Amata Jewelry Studio. I helped Jeska choose some new pieces for inventory in the gallery. There are some super pretty pieces in there!

No painting today - too dark when I got home. I opened the mail, though, and found an small envelope full of assorted collage bits - papers and such. This will be very helpful to get me started doing collage work!

Hopefully I find enough time in the morning, before I work in Ka'anapali, to paint. Tonight, I'll have to settle for a few episodes of Revolution before I fall asleep.

Aloha!

No comments:

Post a Comment