Wednesday, August 14, 2013

T Minus 59: A Milestone

Pictures! I remembered to take pictures while out and about today. More importantly, though, my countdown reached the 50s today. A milestone! I officially have less than 2 months to go until I see the family again. It's still a long time, but 50-something sounds so much better than 60-something.
Clouds roll in over the harbor
late afternoon to cool things off

Today being a no-work day, I decided to go over to the apartment I rented when I first arrived on island and get it ready for the owner's return. I made sure I hadn't left anything behind, cleaned up a bit, put things back where they were the day I moved in, and emptied the trash. It didn't take long at all, but I was drenched by the time I finished. That apartment is located on a property adjacent to the one where I'm at now, a very short walk from here, yet I still needed to change clothes after I got back home. I stood in front of the A/C for a long while to cool off before moving on to other things.

While I sat and watched episodes of Weeds, I thought of ideas for the apartment. The pantry in the kitchen consists only of shelving open to the room. I think perhaps a curtain of some type would be good to cover it up. Maybe a beaded curtain - not the hippie type, but something more crafty-cool of course.

Just inside the entrance to the condo is another open shelving unit where I seem to toss my keys every time I walk in the door - The Hubby will love that idea. I think over there I will do some storage bins, similar to these. I made something like that for my studio in Vegas using 12-pack beer boxes covered in fabric. Once the beer-drinking Hubby gets here, it shouldn't take long to have enough of those to create some bins for these shelves!
Jasmine blooms can be found
everywhere around our new home

I wish I could start on these projects today but I will have to be patient and wait for all my crafty stuff to get here via slow boat from the mainland.

Speaking of slow boats, the boat carrying my mattress seems to have gotten lost. Originally, the shipping tracker online told me the mattress should arrive on Friday. Yesterday, it told me it would be here a day earlier, on Thursday. Today, it tells me it won't be here until next Monday! I might scream. I just want to sleep in a real bed - not too much to ask, right?

Maybe the boat carrying the mattress is the same boat carrying the new dryer my landlord says is on its way...

Back to the beer-drinking Hubby. His beer hobby will be more expensive here. Good beer, such as he drinks, is 50% more expensive than on the mainland. Weirdly, even locally brewed beer costs more locally than it cost on the mainland - Maui Brewing Company brews seem to be about $11 for a sixer here where they were around $7 for a sixer in Vegas . I haven't priced swill like Bud Light yet, but The Hubby might finally have to start brewing his own if he wants to maintain his beer habit!

While I was at the store picking up some beer - Wailua Wheat for $10.49 a sixer - I also picked up some cold fried chicken and some mac salad. Dinner for 2 nights! Foodland has pretty good chicken, too. I wanted some cereal but held off buying some. Milk is super expensive here and I would only use it for the cereal - not really worth it. After wandering around, I found some fresh baked muffins and grabbed 2 - one for breakfast tomorrow and one to eat on the way to work Thursday morning.

The walk home from the store was more pleasant that the walk to the other apartment earlier in the day. A layer of clouds had moved in and cooled things off a bit.
Our rural country-like mailboxes

Passing the mailboxes, which remind me of the mailboxes you might find on a rural country road, I decided to check mine for anything good. Score! The mailman delivered my real Hawaii drivers license today. Too bad he can't deliver my dryer or my mattress.

Finishing up the walk home, I finally figured out what the bushes are that can be found everywhere around our complex. Jasmine! The blooms are huge, the largest Jasmine blooms I've ever seen. I love walking by them - so fragrant.

More Weeds episodes in store for tonight.

Aloha!

No comments:

Post a Comment