Friday, August 16, 2013

T Minus 57: Awesome Day

I'm alive! I've beat whatever virus invaded my body and, aside from waking up to an alarm clock, today awesome. It started, of course, with the most restful night of sleep I've had since arriving on the island. The new mattress proved especially comfy and I woke up backache free this morning.

A couple watching the sun set
over the ocean in Lahaina
I nearly skipped around the condo while I got ready for work. Not really in a mood for tea, I decided to grab a bottle of water to enjoy with my muffin and set out for the gallery. I reached the bottom of the stairs and saw the Pink Cruiser sitting there nearly begging me to ride her to work. I unlocked the bike, stashed everything in my basket, and hopped on. At that point, I only hoped I was well enough to be riding a bike but it turned out I didn't need to worry. The cruise down Front St was exactly what I needed.

I opened the gallery and immediately went to turn on the A/C. The owner likes for us to turn the A/C off overnight. The Hubby says she's probably just trying to control costs but first thing in the morning, it's a sauna in there. It might be a zero sum game given how hard the A/C has to work to cool the place down each morning.

Jeska arrived, bringing me a surprise - an iced coffee from Bad Ass Coffee! I officially love her now. The coffee tasted perfect, especially after having skipped getting one at Bad Ass when I visited Honokowai yesterday afternoon. I told her I felt really good, had slept really well, and was looking forward to working today. "Welcome back to the living," she said.
Watching the sunset is a
popular thing to do on the island

I spent the day learning - met 3 new artists - and helping out in the gallery. The artists I met today were Joel Heinz, Cudra Clover, and Janet Spreiter. I survived the entire 9-hour shift and still felt great when it came time to go home.

As I left work, I realized the sun hadn't set yet. Watching a gorgeous island sunset would be a perfect way to end the day. I pedaled almost all the way home, stopping near the end of the splash wall. I parked the Pink Cruiser, found a good spot to sit, and started shooting with the phone camera. Finally, I got the timing right and the clouds moved out of the way enough that I got some good pictures.
The sun setting over
the ocean in Lahaina

As I made my way home, twice men shouted out Aloha greetings though the way they said it reminded me more of Joey from the show Friends. I never realized, or noticed, before any guys attempting to hit on me. I remember many of my friends back in Vegas warning me that I would get hit on - a lot - when I got here but today was the first I noticed it. Maybe it was the Pink Cruiser that drew all the attention! That thought made me laugh. Silly boys.

I locked up the bike at the condo. It takes a lot less time to lock her up at the condo than it does at the Banyan Tree Park. I guess some bike rack thingies are more user friendly than others.

I found another use for the American cheese my Maui Momma gave me. I cooked a Morning Star burger patty in the toaster oven, toasted some bread, and made a patty melt type of thing with some mayo and pepper sauce. It went well with the steamed broccoli and the Wailua Wheat.

Finishing up the day with a pineapple popsicle and more episodes of Weeds.

Aloha!

2 comments: