Thursday, August 15, 2013

T Minus 58: Finally!

I woke abruptly to someone knocking on my screen door. It bothers me that I don't have a peek hole in the door. I hesitantly opened the door and found a FedEx guy trying to manhandle a giant roll of cardboard up the stairs. It looked heavy. Finally! My mattress arrived. I heard the sound of angels singing and thought about dancing. I felt sorry he had to haul that thing up the steps by himself, but at least I wouldn't be sleeping on that air bed any more.
A pair of slippahs on the beach at
Honokowai Beach Park

As soon as I had the door closed, I set about unwrapping the vacuum seal and unrolling my mattress. I then managed to get it up onto the frame. I was right - it's heavy. As soon as I had it on the frame and my borrowed sheets draped across it, I laid down. It felt so much more comfortable than the air bed. I looked forward to getting a good night's sleep later tonight. I deflated the air bed and stashed it out of the way.

Now I just need for the sheets that The Hubby ordered for me to shop up!

After the workout I got getting the bed set up, I ate one of the muffins I picked up yesterday and headed for the bus stop. 3 days a week, they open a farmers market in Honokowai, and I wanted some fresh veggies.

While at the bus stop, an older Pinay, Ederlina, sat down and immediately started talking story like we were old friends. I listened as she told me about her kids, her grandkids, her deceased husband, her boyfriend, and herself. She invited me to come visit her at the Napili Market where she works, and then suggested I come home with her to eat dinner with her family. I started craving adobo again, and maybe some lumpia and pansit. She swore she wouldn't forget me when we parted ways for different busses at Whalers Village.

I finally reached Honokowai only to discover the farmers market ended at 11:00, which was before I had even gotten on the first bus. Disappointed, I browsed the indoor market but didn't see anything that really piqued my interest. I left empty handed.
Taco plate lunch at the Latino
Market in Honokowai. Package
deal for $9.00

Around the corner, in the same building, I found a Latino market that offers tacos for lunch. I ordered up 2 pork tacos, a side of beans, and a can of soda. In front of the market sits a lone table on the sidewalk, the only place to sit and eat, so I did. As I was finishing up, a 50-something beach bum type walked up and asked if he could share my table. As he ate, he assured me that I had found the best, truest, Mexican tacos there are to be found on the island.

After lunch, I summoned all my will power to keep me out of the Bad Ass Coffee shop that sits in the corner of that building. An iced coffee sounded good, but I had just had a soda I didn't need. After a quick browse through a small gift shop in the same building, I walked across the street to the Honokowai Beach Park where I sat for a while and watched the water rolling over a small reef. A few snorkelers floated in the gaps among the rocks, no doubt trying to catch a glimpse of the colorful fish - it was too early in the day to catch sight of a honu.

One thing I can say about Honokowai. It always seems cooler and breezier than in Lahaina. Today, it was downright windy for a while. After an hour or so, I sought out my bus back to Whalers Village. In between that bus ride and the bus back to Lahaina, I popped in Sephora to replenish my makeup. At island prices, this will be the last time I buy this type of makeup. It's time to find a different source.
Baby pineapple. So sweet,
juicy, and the center is still
soft and edible!

Back home, I texted The Hubby for a while until he said he was going to sleep. This 6-hour time difference kind of sucks. I grabbed a steak knife and sliced up the baby pineapple I had picked up. Perfect snack!

While eating my pineapple, I riffled through the day's mail. I heard that sound again, the sound of angel's singing, when I ripped open the envelope from the Hawaii Department of Agriculture. The traveling papers for the pups arrived! I apparently filled out all the paperwork correctly and paid the appropriate fees because I now have everything I need to have the pups delivered to me directly from the airline in Kahului - no quarantine, no 5-day wait, no cages. This next 58 days needs to fly by!
Traveling papers for the puppies.
Only 58 days until I pick them
up at the Kahului airport!

I celebrated my find in the mail with some cold fried chicken, mac salad, and a beer while watching more episodes of Weeds.

I hope business tomorrow is better than it was the other day. I could use some sales to pad the paycheck.

Aloha!

No comments:

Post a Comment