Saturday, July 27, 2013

T Minus 77: Glitches

If you have been paying attention to the countdown, you may be wondering how the hell I went from T-minus 64 days to T-minus 77 in one night. Today's title says it all. Glitches. Today was full of glitches.
The wonderful shaded sidewalk
that gets me to my bus stop

The day started badly when I nearly didn't make it to work thanks to a misunderstanding with the bus. Yesterday, I purchased a monthly bus pass, and I used it to get to and from work easily enough. Today, my pass didn't work. The driver told me I had an August pass and that it wasn't any good until August. I didn't have any cash, though! I got off the bus and headed to the ATM. Of course, it gave me a $20, and the bus doesn't give change.

The bank was closed. The post office was closed. The parking lot attendant couldn't make change because he didn't have enough small bills at that hour of the morning - 7:30am. As I ran to the Foodland to get change, I saw the bus pull away from the stop. I guess the driver couldn't wait any longer. I was in a near panic. I didn't want to screw up my very first day working on my own!

I called Bonnie since I knew Maureen had family business today. Bonnie told me it was no big deal opening the store a few minutes late. If I didn't tell anyone, she wouldn't tell anyone. I sat baking in the morning sun, hot from running all over the parking lot, and feeling completely miserable. A few minutes later, Bonnie called back to ask where I was. She offered to come drive me to work.
A palm tree leaning over the
ocean along Front St in Lahaina

I texted The Hubby and told him I was an idiot. His response read "No, you're just inexperienced."

Bonnie got me to work early. I tried to give her part of my $20 for gas money but she refused. I definitely owe her one!

After getting to work, things went great. The store ran smoothly. I even sold over $400 worth of art today. The best part of the day came near the end of my shift. On 2 separate items, I needed to call the artist to get answers and more detail for customers. The customers asked me to hold those items, so I have 2 pending sales. So long as those sales close within the next 30 days I will get the credit for them, and the commissions for them! One of the sales is a $3,000 piece, and one is a $1,500 piece. I hope both go through. How cool would it be if I sold $5,000 worth of art on my very first day?

After checking the P O Box - The Hubby's business license he registered last week arrived but still no marriage license from Ohio and no 401(k) info from Caesars The Evil Empire - I headed back to the house for another dinner of chicken thighs. They're pretty tasty, actually, and it's a nice break from all Ramen all the time.
Another Maui Dog!

My excitement over my great day at work faded a bit as I talked to The Hubby tonight. In the end, I felt pretty disappointed. Plans we had made for the fall crumbled apart this evening and now, instead of getting to see the pups and The Hubby on September 28, I won't see them until October 12. I know it's only 12 days but it makes me sad, especially when I look at my countdown now. I was getting so close to 60 days. 60 looked so much more promising than 77.

I'm still living Aloha, I tell myself, still living Maika'i Ola, and the family will get here in October to make it better.
I'll have to wait until at least Monday to
celebrate with one of these. I'm waiting for
the funds from the sale of the Vegas house,
which we were supposed to have today but
won't get until at least Monday. Boo.

Tomorrow is another day flying solo at the gallery in the Hyatt. This time, I will have my $2 fare in hand and I will not have a frantic race around the parking lot at 7:30 in the morning. Maybe those 2 big sales will go through, too! Wish me luck on that.

Now, it's time to pack a lunch and watch some TV on my little 7" screen.

Aloha!

No comments:

Post a Comment