Thursday, July 25, 2013

T Minus 65: Picking Up

I don't remember why I thought a 10:30 interview sounded like a good idea, but I agreed to it and now I needed to rush a bit to get ready. No breakfast, though I still had my tea while I was getting dressed. No lazy morning, texting with The Hubby. At least the interview was all I had planned for the morning. Of course, plans change...
Old guys talkin' story at a cafe

I didn't know what to expect from this interview, and went mostly because I was curious. If a job were offered and it had certain conditions, I'd take it. My interview ran very short, though, as I was out of the running before we ever started talking. Company policy requires that no employees have any visible body art. The uniforms, shorts and a hawaiian-style shirt, would never cover my body art. As I walked back home, I thought about how out of place their policy seems here on the island. It seems nearly everyone between the ages of 16 and 55 is inked up. This was the first anti-body-art policy I've run into on the island.

I stopped off at Foodland to pick up something for lunch. I found a variety of bento boxes, both hot and cold. I chose a box with a bit of katsu chicken, 2 small slices of portuguese sausage, half of a Redondo hot dog, and some scrambled eggs on top of sticky rice. Were I not wearing dressier clothes, I would have enjoyed my lunch outside at the same tables where I found the beach bum musicians last week. This week, instead of musicians, there was a group of older local men and a cute jack russell mix. They all smiled as I snapped their photo before heading home to eat.

After changing into some more casual clothes, I sat down to eat. The phone rang. I let it go to voicemail as I finished eating. The bento box was good - worth every penny of the $5 I paid for it. I texted The Hubby to ask why the hot dog was red, which made him remember eating Redondo hot dogs when he lived here and start craving one. Apparently, red hot dogs are as popular as spam here.
Yummy bento box. Nothing but proteins

After lunch, I listened to the voicemail. I hadn't really planned to do anything this afternoon but, plans change. Maureen asked if I could come in to the Hyatt location for some more training and then plan to work full shifts opening the store on Friday and Saturday. I changed back into dressier clothes and headed out to the bus stop.

I found a new bus stop today, right next to the bank. I had needed to go to the bank, so this was pretty convenient. This stop is no further from my apartment than any of the others, but I like it better. First, there is no hill to walk up. Second, the walk is shaded almost the entire way. Third, there is a sidewalk the entire way. This stop felt much safer and the walk was cooler being out of the sun. To get to that the other stop I was using required a walk up hill, in both direction, in the snow... :-)

I stopped in to the bank, where the teller went out of her way to help me. I think the banker in this branch might have said something to them about the customer service they fell short on with me in the beginning an now everyone here seems to go the extra mile when I show up. I left with a dozen freshly-printed temporary checks. Now, I would be able to set up my direct deposit with my job.

When I got to the bus stop, I started studying my bus schedule that I now take with me almost everywhere. A young girl, early 20s probably, asked if I had any questions about the bus schedule or if I needed any help. "How nice," I thought. I told her I was OK. We talked story for fifteen minutes or so until the bus arrived, mostly about not living without cars and how long we've lived on the island. She's been here 8 months.

Work was short. Maureen had a few things she wasted to teach me. We would have been done sooner but we could only go over things between guest visits. I met another of our artists, though. Christina Seefeldt from Pratima Designs stopped in with 2 new rings she had made. Very lovely work.
I was too early for the sunset but I
loved the near silhouette of the palms
against the evening sun

On the bus ride home, I hoped to be able to watch the sunset over the water as the bus would along the coast. We were too early, though. After reaching my stop, I realized I was too hungry to hang out and wait for a sunset too. I still took some decent pictures, just not of the sunset. I even grabbed a shot of a telephone pole I've walked by a couple dozen times but never really noticed. I liked the sticker from Maui Brewing Company showing the can of Big Swell IPA. I thought it was cool, for some reason. I also noticed something else that is kind of rare - white bougainvillea. Mixed in with the normal purple that seems to be everywhere, it was pretty.
Big Swell IPA from
Maui Brewing Company
The Hubby likes their beers

After a dinner of Ramen with broccoli - no spam since I had so much meat at lunch - I settled in to watch some TV. Thank you for the TV show suggestions yesterday! I appreciate it.

I'm mildly ashamed to admit what show I started watching. So I'm just going to say TV. I watched TV :-)

Aloha!






No comments:

Post a Comment