Friday, July 5, 2013

Day 2: Move In

I think I woke to the sound of birds - lots of birds - singing my welcome, outside my lanai door in nearby trees. Though I am used to different songs from the birds in our Vegas backyard, these news songs were still quite beautiful to hear. Just a few days ago, in Vegas, I floated around in the pool with the Hubby watching hummingbirds and other small flower-loving birds that visited our yard often. I remember wondering what kinds of birds I would hear and see once I was on the island.

While lying around listening the the birds sing their songs, I felt my phone vibrate under my pillow. A "good morning" text from the Hubby! As I was reading that text, I received a text from a number I didn't recognize: "Happy fourth of July!" Turns out, someone named Misty might have previously been assigned my new cell number, or "David" typed a wrong number. He apologized and wished me a happy Fourth anyway.

I readied for my day and checked out of the Inn, locking my suitcases in the truck of the rental car. I strolled down the street to the Pioneer Inn where I recalled, from our vacation a year ago, a nice waitress worked. With the shops not yet open and few people stirring yet, my walk was very quiet and peaceful. I walked along the shaded side of the street and reflected on the fact I was in Maui. Maui!

Reaching the Pioneer, I felt confident with sitting alone today. I took my table and ordered coffee. I left my tea habit, temporarily, back in Vegas. Not being used to coffee any longer, I needed to doctor this cup up - 2 sugars, 2 creams.  I failed to see the waitress I remembered until almost finished with my meal. Maybe next time I will get to sit in her section. I considered having a quick chat but it was the morning of July 4th, the restaurant packed and bustling. All the wait staff was in the weeds and I knew better than to interrupt with an idle chat. I opted for a smile, hoping she might remember me from my visit last year. I made a mental note to come back, say hello, and ask if they were hiring!

Across the street from the Pioneer lies Banyan Tree Park. As I left the Pioneer, I noticed an art fair beneath the trees. Just my style! I poked around a bit and talked with some of the artists before moving on. I wandered back up Front Street to discover whatever struck my eye, popping in and out of a few shops. I hoped to find a purse of the very long strap/cross-body style - no luck. I liked none of the options I found, some with too-short straps and others with way-too-big bags for my minimalist needs.

After making it back to my rental car, I drove "home" to unpack. Home, for the next two months, is a small 1-bedroom I am renting from a young lady while she is back on the mainland for some time with her family. I wish my family was here, but I am patient. I know that three months from now, everything will be awesome! I focused on finding somewhere in the apartment to put all my stuff, without disturbing all of the owner's stuff. Finally, I grabbed the phone and recorded a short video tour of my new digs to send off to the Hubby.

My next thoughts turned to food. I hopped in the car and headed to Honokowai where the Farmers Market Maui is. During my drive, I realized I was surely not ready for that trip on a bicycle. I need to work up to a 10-mile round trip by pedal. First, though, I need a bike, but we'll get to that later.

I looked over the things at the farmers market, picked up some items, and headed back to the Safeway in Lahaina. Momentarily forgetting the holiday, I wondered why there were no carts available. Realization struck seconds later. Grocery shopping on the Fourth of July = Bad Idea! I grabbed a hand basket and stuffed it with as much as I could carry, knowing it wasn't everything I wanted. No worries, I told myself, there's always tomorrow.

Walking across the parking lot, I remembered I needed some stuff to make my life easier at the house. I zipped into Longs drugstore to find a tea kettle and perhaps a collapsible laundry basket. While browsing the aisles, I stumbled across something I've never seen - a Spam slicer! I knew Spam was a big thing among islanders, but I never expected to find a tool such as that.

After stashing my newly acquired stuff, I sat and cooled off in the A/C. Soon, my thoughts returned to that bike I mentioned earlier. I headed out for a walk over to West Maui Cycles. During my walks around town, I noticed more and more bikes chained up. Tourists and locals both made their way up and down Front St on bikes. I looked forward to joining them.

At the bike shop, a bike pro named Scott talked to me about style, fit, and price. My eyes darted over the various assembled bicycles on the shop floor - a couple of 3-speed Electra Cruisers in neon green and bronze, too many 1-speed bikes to count, and stuck way in the back trapped behind all the other bikes, a hot pink one that kept drawing my eye. I asked about the pink one, which turned out to be a 7-speed Electra Cruiser.

Scott pulled the bike out for me to get a better look. Hot pink, aqua and white pinstripes, white handles and seat, front and read hand brakes - important to me because, for some reason, I felt nervous with the idea of coaster brakes. After a quick gear shifting lesson, I pedaled off for a test ride. I felt like a kid, all wobbly and unsure of myself, but I gained confidence as we rode farther and the bike pro explained more things to me.

After getting back to the bike shop, I text the Hubby a photo. "Test driving an Electra 3i. That was fun and easy. I want it." Because he is the greatest, he simply replied "Buy it then." I rode my new bike home and stashed it in the house. Tomorrow, I need to get a P.O. Box so the Hubby can mail me all the bike gear we picked up from REI the other day!

Something out the window caught my eye - a man and a dog approaching the door. I walked out to see if this was the next door neighbor. Indeed it was, an older man named Jack and his pal Hershey. I gave Hershey quite a bit of attention while Jack and I spoke. People are so pleasant here. Every "Aloha!" makes me happier to be here.

Sumo Dogs menu
With all my chores and errands done, I decided it was time for some fun. Fourth of July is a big deal around here. With Front St closed to vehicles, the harbor town becomes one giant party. What's good about parties? The food! I found a food truck - I love food trucks - called Sumo Dog and stood in line. What's a Sumo Dog you ask? My first reaction would be OMFG!! To make a Sumo Dog, they take a 12-inch long loaf of Hawaiian bread and burrow a hole down the middle - but not all the way through. Next, in goes sauces of your choice, followed by a foot-long beef hot dog. Finally, in goes more sauces!



Maui Tropix Sumo Dog!


My dog of choice:

  • Garlic Sumo Sauce
  • Spicy Onion Sauce
  • Lilikoi Sauce

Pro tip: share with at least one other person! I ate about 3/4 of this behemoth, witch was probably 1/4 too much, but damn was it tasty! I found it well worth the $8.

After eating, with the sky dark, it was time for fireworks. Long ago disenchanted with fireworks, I expected little. The little harbor town blew my expectations out of the water. The fireworks were amazing. Watching them shoot from ships at sea into the night sky above the ocean horizon...

A M A Z I N G !  !  !

The only thing that could have made the fireworks more grand would have been being able to share the experience with the Hubby - next year.

Here's a snippet I found online about the festivities I attended...

The Lahaina Town Action Committee invites all to stroll historical Lahaina and enjoy the holiday specials in many ocean view restaurants and town shops. The Maui Chamber of Commerce will be hosting the 12th Annual 4th of July Fireworks Celebration in Lahaina. For an old-fashioned Independence Day celebration, come down and listen to a variety of bands play in Lahaina free. A fireworks display lighting the night sky over Lahaina's roadstead is scheduled for 8 pm, hosted by Maui Chamber of Commerce. Fireworks can be viewed from charter boats in Lahaina Harbor and on land throughout Lahaina Town. Enjoy an afternoon of great fun, food, shopping, entertainment and more, followed by a spectacular sunset and a fireworks celebration.
4th of July Campbell Park brought to you by LahainaTown Action Committee
DJ Ron - from 5:30 pm to 8:30 pm
John Stephan sings live numbers from the Maui Theater's new show - YOU GOT IT.
8:30 pm to 9:00 pm Food and drinks: Sumo Dogs, Hawaiian Food Plate, Baked Goods, Kettle Corn. Keiki event with free entertainment for the whole family.
Visit Lahaina's 5th annual karaoke contest at the Wharf Cinama Center at 4:00 pm


Tomorrow the Job hunting begins. The bike pro, Scott, told me that when his daughter moved to town a couple years ago she scored three job offers in three days. Here's hoping I'm as lucky as she was!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck job hunting! I can't believe that you bought a bike from a guy named..., SCOTT, but you do what you can... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coach: I happened to attract Scott's of all varieties into my life... But there's only one that matters the most!

    ReplyDelete