Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Day 7; Disappointment

I landed in Hawaii late Wednesday afternoon. On Thursday, everyone celebrated the holiday. Friday and Saturday, though I did get things accomplished, were still weekends. Truth be told, I've been on the island 3 business days - not a long time at all. Still, I feel very disappointed I haven't landed a job yet.
The Hubby wants a wahine bobblehead for his Jeep.
After all, what Jeep dash wouldn't look better with
a bobblehead? Maybe he'll like this shark instead
of the traditional hula-skirted wahine dolls!

I knew Tuesday would be the day. By the end of today, I planned to triumphantly announce my new job. The phone never rang. The prospective employers that seemed most likely to call didn't. "The hiring manager isn't in today" begins to sound like a brush-off. Tomorrow means more followup visits.

Today, on top of the job search, I started the home search in earnest as well. With the dogs getting the official OK to become beach pups, I need a destination address to give to the company we plan to use to ship them over. Early results from the home search left me feeling very discouraged. Even though I see dogs on the beach and in town, dogs bigger than mine, from the answers to my inquiries at apartment and condo complexes, one might conclude that Hawaii hates dogs.

Finding a place to live that allows the pups will apparently take longer than I hoped. I found one place that might serve as a fallback, but it is pricey and we would prefer to avoid pricey if possible. Still, if nothing else pans out, maybe we'll call them. The Hubby told me not to worry, that he would let me know when I should start worrying. It's hard for me to not worry, though.

Honestly, though, I wish I knew where these feelings of sadness came from. It might not be the fact I'm not gainfully employed or the fact that I failed to find a home for us yet. I admit to being homesick, insanely homesick. I miss The Hubby. I miss my puppies. Even if I located the perfect home today, it wouldn't be "home" until we're all together again.

Tuesday, grueling day that it was, simply wore me down.

One bright spot came early in the morning. A 10am interview with the store manager at Crocs seemed to go well. I liked talking with her, and it seemed as if she liked me as well. She asked me to come back later this week for a second interview with both her and the assistant store manager.

I noticed my stock of printed resumes was low. I stopped in at Office Depot to get more printed up. After one week on the island, the score is: 13 printed resumes handed out, 10 additional resumes emailed, 0 job offers. Week two, my friends, will not pass without me getting a job. I hope.

I also hope that tomorrow is nowhere near as mentally draining as today was.

6 comments:

  1. Pace yourself Julie - "it's a marathon, not a sprint..." (or something like that) ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No pun intended? Thanks for the pep talk coach

      Delete
  2. My goodness. Look, you landed Wednesday, Thurs-Sun was a long holiday nothing you could do about that. So basically you've been looking for a job Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday. Now we say most people in charge spent Monday doing the stuff they didn't do Thurs-Sun, and we are now down to what? Two days!.

    Look around! You are in HAWAII!. Take a deep breath. You will find a job. But you know as well as I do, you don't want to come off desperate. Sooo deep breaths, and look around you are in HAWAII damnit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks wndywitch
      The heart does not know weekends or holidays. It doesn't always communicate well with reality or the Brain...

      Delete
  3. Julie, the right job will come along when it comes along. Until then, enjoy paradise. You might want to get a bottle of B-Complex pills and take 2 when you first get up which will help level you out naturally. You just got there and have handed out plenty of resumes already so it's not like you're not looking. Take it easy on yourself and take things the Hawaiian way......Shaka Brah.....Hang Loose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shaka indeed! I'll do that! I've taken B-Complex before. I'll get some tomorrow! Thanks !!

    ReplyDelete