Sunday, July 7, 2013

Day 4; Walking Everywhere

Aloha to my blog-reading ohana...

I woke again at 7:00am. I find that waking up early doesn't bother me. I take my time getting out of bed, "waking up slowly" as it were, and still have lots of day to enjoy! I need to remember not to get used to that, though. My boy dog, Ricky, likes to eat immediately when we wake up and can be very demanding about it. I sure miss my puppies.
Ricky, practicing to be an island dog

I lied in bed for a while, texting with the Hubby and playing games on the phone like we normally do over coffee each morning. It's not exactly the same playing from 2,500 miles away.

I finally decided to be productive and see what job applications I might be able to get in. Being a Saturday, I wasn't sure if it would be a good day for that or not. Before heading out, I called a realtor that one of the poker players where the Hubby worked referred us to. No answer, so I left a voicemail. I hope she can help me find something to rent long term.

Along those lines, I stopped at the leasing office as I headed out of the apartment complex. I found only a sign saying the manager was "Out on property." I left a note in the slot as the sign suggested. I may not have found the manager, but I did find the laundry facility. I'll be needing that.
Old Lahaina Luau
Near my apartment

Instead of driving in to town, "town" being about ¾ of a mile down the road, I opted to walk. First, I wanted to get a feel for how close everything really was and how easy it would be to get there on foot. Second, the lock for my bicycle hasn't been delivered yet. One upside to walking: I found plenty of opportunities to take some pictures along the way (which I'll share over the next few days). I also used my walk to scope out every business along the way, sizing them up as potential employment opportunities. I plan to score a gig in a restaurant - it's what I'm focusing on - so I am holding off applying at other places unless they really appeal to me in some way. For example, I popped in the Crocs store and discovered they were hiring so I filled out an application before moving on.

During my walkabout, my phone chimed to let me know I had an incoming text. I chatted with a friend back in Indiana who let me know she had been reading my stories and following along on my new adventure. I forwarded her some of the photos I had been taking along my route. I remembered the Hubby, and forwarded them to him as well ;)
Dynamite Scallop Mayo Roll

Lunch today was at Genki Sushi, the joint I noticed the other day with the conveyor belt service. I had the Dynamite Scallop Mayo Roll - tasty! The most memorable part of lunch occurred at a table near mine. A guy sat near me and proceeded to eat like it was his last day on earth. He might have had one of everything! I'd have loved to see what his bill was.

While paying my tab, I talked story with the cashier a bit. She recommended I look into a certain apartment complex she knew about. I smiled - she had just referred me to the apartment complex I am currently living in for the next two months.

Walking Front St, every place seemed so busy.  I decided today was likely not the day I would find a job. I hate interrupting people when they are busy, risking the brush off just so this haole looking for a job will get out of their hair. With tomorrow being Sunday, I believe I will wait until Monday to start applying at more places.

After my third interview at Bubba Gump's, which went well though I won't know anything for certain until at least Tuesday, I made my way back to the apartment complex. I checked the leasing office again, but still no luck - "out on property." Now seemed like a good time to check out Baby Beach, which was a selling point mentioned on the rental listing for the place I'm staying at.
Baby Beach

True enough, Baby Beach sits very close to the apartment. I might get used to strolling up and down the beach every day, letting the waves wash over my feet. The waters at Baby Beach are calm, shallow, and mostly flat. This is part of why the locals call it Baby Beach, because it is "Shallow and safe for little kids because of the offshore reef."
Dinner!

Feeling a little hungry, I made my way back to the apartment for a shower and dinner. Dinner would be the same as last night - sautéed broccoli, mushrooms and tuna, mixed in to some cooked ramen, topped with clover sprouts, seasoned with hot sauce and soy sauce. Yummy!

Hunger pangs satisfied, I grabbed the tablet with the horrible speakers to find something to entertain myself. I opted for "Grimm" the TV show, watching the first few episodes. It's no Deadwood, or Game of Thrones, but I think I could get into this one.

I think tomorrow will be a slow day.


No comments:

Post a Comment