Tuesday, August 20, 2013

T Minus 53: Friday?

Happy Friday! Over the years, "Friday" became a relative term, especially after working in Vegas for so long. Sure, to many people, Friday means the sixth day of the week on the calendar. To those of us working in non-traditional jobs, Friday simply means the last day of our work week and has nothing to do with what day the calendar says.
The Maui Hands gallery in Lahaina
just before opening for the day

I actually thought I might be leaving behind that whole "It's my Friday" concept when I moved to Maui. Apparently, I thought wrong. Maui, similar to Vegas, caters to tourists. As such, stores open their doors every day of the week. Luckily, nobody in Maui works graveyard shifts. We start rolling up the sidewalks around sunset. Work hours are shorter here than Vegas. I like that.

I don't particularly like working 5 days a week, like I just did. Sure, the extra money is nice, but I shoot for a 4-day work week every week. Full-time work holds no appeal for me at all. As the lyrics to a song The Hubby likes to quote say, "I've had a lot of bad experiences, like full time jobs."

Working full-time tires me out. It took every bit of energy I had left after work just to lift my leg over the bar on the Pink Cruiser. I started a soft, slow pedaling and gave only enough effort to keep the bike moving until I got home. Thankfully, I have zero stop signs or lights on my commute because I had no intention of stopping my forward motion until I reached the bike rack at the condo. The only thoughts bouncing around my head were thoughts of collapsing onto my bed after dragging myself up the steps to the condo.

Fate held other plans for me though. When I finally reached the top of the steps, I nearly tripped over a box sitting in front of my door. "Big mail!" I used to always ask The Hubby if the carrier delivered any big mail that day. Big mail = goodies.

I slipped into my lounging clothes and cut open my box. I expected a box to arrive, a care package from my best friend back in Indiana, but not until Wednesday. I was excited to see it today.

My friend spoils me. Opening the box, I found tons of crafty stuff. At some point in the past, I mentioned that I wanted to fool around with water colors and learn to paint. She sent me all of the basic supplies I need to get started with that new obsession. Getting the box early, and seeing what was actually inside it, made today seem like Xmas!

With the excitement I felt, I completely forgot about wanting to collapse on the bed. Instead, I cooked up a morning star burger for dinner, and celebrated with a Wailua Wheat. One beer tastes good every once in a while...unless you are The Hubby, who never needs a reason to enjoy a beer, especially if he sees one he's never heard of.

Tomorrow, I believe I will set up and make my first attempt at painting in the morning. The bug guy comes anytime after noon, so I will have some time in the morning. Of course, there will be no alarm clocks tomorrow, so I might not wake up until noon!

Tonight, I look forward to watching some more episodes of Revolution. I tried to get into The Riches but just couldn't get interested enough to watch more of it. Revolution, though, seems pretty good so far. I laughed last night when I realized the episode I was watching supposedly took place in Noblesville, IN. We lived in Noblesville before we moved to Vegas. The square looked different in the TV show and made me wonder if they shot it on location or simply tried to replicate it on a set. I haven't seen the square for nearly ten years. Crazy thought...or I suppose I should say lolo...

Today's word of the day is lolo, a Hawaiian/Pidgin word that means crazy (or numbing or stupid). I prefer the definition of crazy. It fits, especially in something like the compound word pakalolo (crazy weed) which is that medicinal plant a lot of people like to smoke to relieve their stress, pain, loss of appetite, etc. *wink wink*

Aloha Braddahs n Sistahs!

2 comments:

  1. After driving an hour and a half to get coffee on the square, I can tell you the square looks exactly like it did ten years ago :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes the square looks EXACTLY the same - 27th Annual Noblesville Street Dance a couple weeks ago! The square in revolution is from a set in Canada!

    ReplyDelete