Thursday, August 22, 2013

T Minus 51: Taking it easy

Today, I planned to do very little. I slept in and, when I finally woke, took my sweet time getting out of bed.

I planned out some lunches and made a grocery list. I hoped to visit the farmers market today, so I texted my Maui Momma to see if she happened to be planning a market visit this morning. No luck. I settled for riding the Pink Cruiser to Foodland to pick up what I needed.

I arrived back home at the same time as my neighbor. She wanted to show me something, and seemed super excited about it, so I headed next door to check it out. She showed me a shark, a baby tiger shark, that someone taxidermied around 15 years ago. She apparently has had her eyes on it for a while at a local shop. I admit it looks pretty cool. It'd be better were it her own catch, but it still looks nice.

Speaking of dead things, I found a dead bug today. I'd not seen a single cockroach in the condo since moving in. Bug guy sprays yesterday and the little - and not so little - critters feel the need to come out and die in public view. This particular roach measured about 2 inches long. I grew accustomed to cleaning up roach carcasses once a month when the bug guy sprayed, but few reached the 2 inch length. There was one, horrifyingly big at nearly 4 inches, that I encountered back in Vegas. I encapsulated him in a jar of epoxy but even then he creeped me the hell out and I threw him in the trash.

Moving on to more pleasant things, I painted a bit more today. I found more YouTube instruction videos and learned a few more things. Today, I painted a background and set it aside to dry. Once dry, I'll paint some more elements on it. I also attempted a postcard-sized collage but quickly found that I am not ready for collage. I lack enough clippings and pieces to fill the space the way I would like - I need to collect more stuff!

While my painting dried, I tossed a load of laundry in the washer and cooked up some halfway decent broccoli cheese pasta for dinner. As I ate, I noticed water coming from the washing machine during the spin cycle. Yay. I called the landlord to let him know. He simply ordered a new washer, this one being nearly 10 years old and not worth repair, and let me know it would - hopefully - arrive about the same time as the dryer that is supposedly on its way.

Not only did I do very little today, I made it a short day. Opening the Lahaina gallery at 9:00 tomorrow morning so I need to get my beauty rest.

Aloha!

No comments:

Post a Comment