Saturday, August 24, 2013

T Minus 49: Shorts

Today, I say 7 weeks! I have less than 50 days until the pups and The Hubby join me in Hawaii.

My brain short-circuited today. It happens fairly often, actually. The Hubby recently said that when he gets rich with his new business idea, he's going to send me to communications classes. Today, I managed to miss a communication somewhere and I came up short with what I needed to do. I read the email from The Hubby twice that explained exactly what we needed - overlapping insurance policies for the car. We need to maintain Nevada insurance until such time as we send them the plates back, and we need Hawaii no-fault insurance as soon as the Jeep hits the island.
My first attempt at some collage work

I called our insurance company and explained what I needed. Somewhere in there I got lost. I ended up with a quote for a new Hawaii insurance policy that would start when the Nevada policy ended. Failure to communicate. WTF is wrong with my brain? Now, I need to call them back and start this process over. Good times!

That call would have to wait, though, as I needed to get ready for work. Tuesday, while running errands, I picked up a couple pair of Bermuda shorts. Today, I decided to see if I could get away with wearing them to work. I arrived at the office and spent a few minutes talking with the boss. Since she made no mention of the shorts, I assume I looked acceptable.

I don't know if I like them better than the capris I usually wear or not. The same size as my capris, the shorts feel much looser. I reserve final judgement until I see how they feel after they've been washed and dried.

It feels weird to be wearing shorts again. I've not worn a pair of shorts in years, not since I shattered my knees hiking the Virgin River in Zion. For those interested, you can read that story on The Hubby's old blog. To make a long story short, my knees swelled to the size of cantaloupes. I became very self conscious of my knees and did everything I could to hide them when I ventured out in public. The resulting surgeries left 3 holes/scars on each knee and the time I spent laying on the couch recovering led to weight gain in my legs. I banned shorts from my life.

Today, I feel differently. The new me walks and cycles everywhere. My legs, and other body parts, seem to shrink every day. I slowly lose a bit of that self consciousness I've held onto for the past few years every time I look in the mirror. I actually feel a bit foolish leaving the shorts I do own behind in Vegas to be shipped instead of bringing them with me!

I kept fairly busy at work today, mostly restocking and organizing the shop. I made a few sales, but not enough to reach my (secret, nobody knows I have) goal. Whenever I work at the Ka'anapali gallery, I want to outsell whomever it is I relieve that day. Some days, I hit my goal, some I don't. Today? Not so much. I ended the day with $100 less in sales than the boss lady who had worked the opening shift. Realistically, the goal simply gives me something to be proud of when I manage to hit it but I have no real control over the number of people who visit the gallery each day. Plus, we're selling art, not girl scout cookies.

Maybe I should get into the cookie business! I love baking and I don't remember seeing a bakery anywhere on Front St....

The boss lady provided my transportation home after work. I ate dinner, which consisted of edamame, a spicy tuna roll, and some pineapple. Yummy!
My new bag a friend sent me

I posed for a selfie of me wearing my new bag I received from a friend and then sat down to try out some collage work using the touristy magazines I've been collecting and some of the stuff that came in the mail the other day. By the time I finished, I realized I need a cheap paint brush and some gel medium. I need to check and see if I can order gel medium using our Amazon Prime account.

Having finished up season 1 of Revolution last night - I doubt there's a season 2 based on the way it ended - I need to find a new show. I'll let you know what I find tomorrow.

Aloha!

No comments:

Post a Comment