Sunday, July 28, 2013

T MInus 76: Pack it Up

I hate alarms. I spent the last ten years not needing to use an alarm. Yesterday and today, I set an alarm for 6:30am! Besides alarms, I also do not like early mornings. 6:30, pffft! Last night and the night before I woke up many times during the night and rolled over to check the clock, dreading the alarm sounding.
View of the golf course in Ka'anapali

I finally got up, texted a good morning to The Hubby and headed off to work. On the way to the bus stop, I crossed paths with this weird dalmatian-looking bird. He was huge!

Giant bird with spots
like a dalmatian
I went prepared today, with my $4 in hand to buy a day pass from the bus guy. A single ride is $2, so I bought the $4 day pass to give me a piece of ephemera to stash in my collection somewhere.

After the bus dropped me at Whalers Village, I had a nice stroll around the complex to the Hyatt. It is roughly ¾ of a mile from the bus stop to the Hyatt. I enjoyed the walk, finding a lot of landmarks I didn't know were in Ka'anapali. I snapped pics of a few of the landmark markers, and the gorgeous view of the golf course, and...a hot-dog-length centipede! GROSS! I was beginning to think the stories about the centipedes were just that - stories - until this morning.
My first Hawaiian
centipede - GROSS!

I reached the Hyatt and searched out the Starbucks to grab a pick me up. The Starbucks was packed with people, though, and I was short on time. I ended up with a can of Hawaiian Iced Coffee from the gift shop instead, which I think I might have enjoyed more than the iced chai I might have gotten at Starbucks.
Locally made iced cofee
YUM!

While I was getting the gallery set up for opening, I spied a pair of earrings I really liked and decided to demo them for the day. While we are working in the store, we can wear any of the jewelry to demo it so long as we clean it and return it at the end of our shift. This pair of earrings, made by McKenna Hallett of Low Impact Jewelry, was made entirely of junkyard metals as are all of her items. Some day, I will buy those earrings.

My big sales from yesterday didn't close today but the lady who wanted the ring is supposedly coming in this evening. The artist is even sending over a ring from Paia in the size the lady wants so she will not have to go and have it resized. I think that sale will go through. Even though I didn't get to see the closing of either of the big sales from yesterday, I did sell a $400 painting off the wall, which I thought was exciting. I even called the artist to share the good new with her.
One of the historic markers I
found on my walk to work

Toward the end of my shift, my new landlord stopped by to drop off the key to the condo for me. I started mentally planning my move. I don't have much, but I also don't have a car. There would be many trips walking down the street between apartments. Luckily, they are only a couple blocks apart!
Earrings I demoed during
work today. I like them.

When the bus dropped me in Lahaina, I stopped by the P O Box and discovered that I had received a certified copy of my marriage license from the state of Ohio! Now, maybe, the - cue dark music - DMV will give me a drivers license and I can move one step closer to being local. I might have to wait a couple days before going over there, though. We are apparently about to get dumped on by Mother Nature.

Yep, I'm about to experience my first tropical storm, Flossie - who names these things? The Hubby told me yesterday it almost got upgraded to a hurricane before it hit some headwinds or something and it started to weaken. Still, I hear they are predicting 6-10 inches of rainfall over the next couple days and 18 foot waves on the east side of the island. I could already feel the effects of the storm today. It was a lot windier than usual. The Hubby tells me it will get a lot windier yet before it's over. He was on the island when the last big hurricane, Iniki, hit.
Advertising for Low Impact Jewelry.
Pretty cool, huh? Yes. Yes, it is.

Anxious to be moved into my new place, I changed clothes and started packing things up. While I did, I listened to the beautiful voice of Paula Fuga, a local Hawaiian musician I discovered recently. Here are a few of her songs on YouTube: LilikoiThought Of You, and Country Road - an awesome duet with Jack Johnson. It was hard to pick only one song to share!

Now that I'm all packed and ready to move down the street, I think I'll cook up some Ramen and wait for the sun to go down before I start hauling stuff down the street. Hopefully I get enough stuff moved I can sleep over there tonight, but I'm guessing I'll still be here for one more night. Hopefully this storm doesn't interrupt my moving the next few days!

Aloha!








1 comment: