Friday, July 26, 2013

T Minus 64: Calm Before the Storm

I woke to find a bunch of emails from The Hubby. The realtor needed yet more paperwork signed, so I got up instead of laying around for a while. I skipped breakfast and tea, and headed to the UPS store. Hopefully that was my last trip there for a while.
The view from the bus
stop near my apartment

After the UPS store, I walked over to McD's to grab a breakfast sandwich and a frappe. The frappe must have been good. Third sip, BRAIN FREEZE! Ouch! I ate my breakfast sammie while walking over to Foodland to pick up a couple things. I decided to check out the P O Box as well.

The P O Box was empty. Again. I'm starting to think junk mail may be illegal here. Back in Vegas, I would get ads every day even if I didn't receive any real mail. I have yet to see a single piece of junk mail here. The mail from Vegas has been forwarded to Hawaii since Monday, too. I could get used to no junk mail!

I headed home, enjoying my walk. I love the early morning walks when the sun hasn't gotten too hot and the humidity is still low. Of course, I love the late evening walks as well, watching the sun set over the ocean while I stroll. Mid-afternoon is too sweaty. OK, I'll admit it. There is no bad time to walk when you live in Hawaii.
A Maui Dog taking a
stroll with its owner

On my walk, I saw a lady jogging with her dog. Earlier this morning, I passed a man walking a chocolate lab and, near Foodland, I saw a young pit bull happily rolling on his back for a belly rub. Even in Foodland, I saw a cute little dog riding in a lady's shopping cart. Dogs are everywhere on Maui. If I was quicker with the camera, I'd have a photo of a Maui Dog to post every day.

I got home and pulled out the schedules for the bus and trolley so I could plan my afternoon. Today would be my last day of training with Maureen. This weekend, I will fly solo. I like Maureen a lot. Today, she offered to spend the day with me outside work on Tuesday. We are going to go to Kahului, hit up the Savers Thrift Store for some shopping, grab lunch, and head over to the Maui Hands gallery in Paia. I'm interested in seeing the other gallery, but I'm more excited about heading to Savers - I need some queen size sheets and some clothes!
My new bus pass, smaller
than I thought it would be

I hopped on the bus after picking up a monthly bus pass. My ride reached Whalers Village giving me enough time to spare that I could grab a sandwich from Subway for lunch before going to work. I ate outside with the company of three little birds that hopped between the backs of the empty chairs at the table where I say. Occasionally, they even got bold enough to hop onto the table itself. It did them no good. There were no handouts today.

I stopped in a couple stores, hoping to find a lanyard with a clear pouch at the end like so many that we have thrown away over the years when The Hubby would get home from this technical conference or that seminar. I found a lot of lanyards, none with a pouch though. I fear I might lose my new bus pass. It is small, about half the size of a business card, and made of paper. Giving up on the lanyard search for the day - I will just have to be careful with the bus pass until I can find something suitable - I boarded the trolley for the ride to the Hyatt.

Most of my training today consisted of a tour. Maureen walked me around, showing me the front and back of the house at the Hyatt. We also stopped in a few of the other shops so she could introduce me to the people who worked there. We had hoped to maybe find someone with whom I could carpool when I start working the night shifts next week but we didn't get that lucky. I'm kind of nervous about getting home after those shifts.

The last bus leaves Whalers Village at 9:00. Whalers Village is 1 mile down the road from the Hyatt. Since I don't close the shop until 9:00, there is no way I can make it to the bus stop in time. The other day I mentioned trying to get comfortable riding my bike the 3 miles back to the apartment but I learned today that there is road construction on the highway and thus no bike lane for the time being. Not sure what I will do next weekend, but this weekend I work the morning shifts so I won't have any problems - except needing to leave earlier than I'd like because the trolley doesn't start running until 10am so I will have to walk the mile from Whalers Village to the Hyatt. Like I said earlier, though, the morning walks are comfortable so I don't really mind. I just hate waking up that early!
The penguins at the Hyatt,
lined up and ready to dive in

After I was done at the gallery, I stopped by the penguin exhibit at the Hyatt. I think I remember reading their penguins are African Black Footed penguins. While I visited, they all formed a conga line and dove into the water one by one for a swim.

Back in Lahaina, I walked over to check the P O Box again. I am actually expecting a small package, but still the box was empty. I should check to see what time they put the mail in the boxes each day.

I headed over to Foodland for the 2nd time today to try and find something to take to work with me for lunch the next couple days. There is no microwave, not even a mini fridge. If I leave the store, I have to completely shut everything up, which is actually a big deal with the TWO sets of very heavy doors. I needed something I could keep in the store with me and eat when there were no guests in the store.

I ended up with some of the freshest pineapple I've ever had - made The Hubby jealous again today - along with some cheese, crackers, and sliced turkey. I also grabbed a pack of fried chicken thighs that drew my attention thanks to the spicy looking sauce they were covered in. The fried chicken looked good enough that I skipped the Ramen and ate 2 pieces of the chicken for dinner. Everything else I split up into two lunches. I tossed a couple bottles of water into the freezer so they'd stay nice and cold on my trip to work as well.
One of the many super colorful
tour buses you can see on Maui

Thinking about the water made me think about the situation with the doors and the effort required to close up the shop. I hope I don't have to use the restroom during my shift!

Taking off my shoes, I noticed my Vans are taking a beating with all this walking. I might have to get a new pair of cute Crocs or Toms to replace them. It seems everyone here wears slippahs (as the article says, Hawaii does not wear flip flops), even to work, so I might just paint my toenails and get a nice pair of slippahs instead!
Another super colorful tour bus

Time for some TV and to think of a way to make myself fall asleep earlier than normal. Tomorrow morning will get here quick and I haven't invested in a travel mug for my tea yet! There is, however, a Starbucks in the Hyatt that gives discounts if you work on the property. Maybe an Iced Chai Tea would be a good way to wake up tomorrow.

Flying solo...should be fun!

Aloha!




No comments:

Post a Comment