Thursday, July 11, 2013

Day 8: Beads n Boats

I slept in a bit this morning, but not because I wanted to. I simply refused to move. My back screamed at the slightest hint of movement. I miss my bed. Bed for the past week has been a memory foam mattress laid across a couch. Today, I started feeling the effects of this sleeping arrangement. I remember the owner of the apartment saying something about a futon in the closet. I made mental note to check on that at the end of the day.
A blurry shot of the lizard who apparently
lives behind the bathroom mirror

I finally reached for the phone to say good morning to The Hubby. Still not really wanting to move, I stayed where I was for an hour or so while I waited for the Tylenol to kick in.

After enough time, and a good bit of stretching, my back felt loosened up enough for me to get going.  I skipped breakfast, opting only for tea, and eventually headed into town around lunch time. First thing on the agenda, cheap lunch. I passed a place called Moose McGillycuddy's and studied their menu. They had not 1, but 2, varieties of Poutine! The Hubby introduced me to Poutine - tasty! - so I decided to wait until The Hubby was here with me to try it out. They also had bacon-wrapped bacon on the menu, so they got that going for them!
Aloha Maid nectar drink for lunch

Moving on, I found a small hole-in-the-wall place called Shaka Shave Ice. The sidewalk board announced lunch specials, including a turkey burger with chips and a drink. Since I make strong effort to avoid sodas, I tried a Aloha Maid Natural Nectar Drink in the Pineapple and Orange flavor.

After lunch, it was time to get to work, the work of finding work. I stopped in at a few places where I have already applied, hoping my followup appearance would show my dedication. I know my persistence will eventually pay off.

Two interviews broke up today's walkabout. The first of the day, at the Crocs store, was my second interview there. I believe it went well. A bit later in the day, I had a phone interview with the owner of the Maui Hands art gallery. This was the first interview for a job that would have me working full-time.

The weirdest thing to happen yet in my short time on the island occurred at the gelato shop I applied to the other day. They called and asked if I could come in and observe how the shop ran for a couple hours. The idea seemed weird, and I mentioned it to The Hubby. He texted back that he thought it sounded like they wanted to train me without paying me, and that he wouldn't do it. I showed up at the time they had requested and told them I'd stay as long as they wanted but there would be no training unless they hired me and intended to pay me. They sent me home after fifteen minutes, so it looks like The Hubby was right. Obviously, I need a job, but if I don't get that one I don't think I will feel too bad about it.

I only made two applications today - well, one application and one phone call. The application was for a soap shop in Lahaina, but the phone call...the phone call left me feeling super excited.

Perusing jobs on craigslist, I came across a post for a crew member on a charter boat. I asked The Hubby if he thought I was fit enough to work on a boat. He told me to be prepared for some hard work and physical labor, but that he thought I could handle it. I called. It turned out to be the very same boat that we sailed on last August when we were here on vacation! I think I may have tried a back-flip if my back weren't so sore. I would so love to work on that boat! The Captain asked me to come talk to him tomorrow. It will be hard to contain my excitement all day - I don't meet with him until the afternoon.

Of course, just in case that doesn't pan out or isn't the dream job it seems at first glance, I listed a few other places to apply tomorrow. I also am getting ready to expand my job search up the coast to places like Ka'anapali, Napili, Kahana - we stayed in Kahana last summer. I expand my search reluctantly because I love Lahaina, but a girl's gotta do whatever she can to make living the dream work, right?

As always, not everything was work related today. I found an outdoor "shop" where a lady say making bracelets and necklaces. They looked very similar to the jewelry I make. I browsed through her selection while we talked story. Seeing her with this little hut as her "office" and being able to make jewelry as her "job" made me melt. That scenario used to be all I could think about - selling my handmade stuff beachside in Hawaii. Maybe someday...
A view of the harbor from a bench
along Front St in Lahaina

In between various stops I sat on the boardwalk and thought to myself "if you've gotta do nothing, this is the place to do it." I, of course, snapped a picture of my view from the bench on the boardwalk. The Hubby is turning me into a quasi-photographer or something!

Eventually, I made the 1-mile walk from the Banyan Tree to the apartment. Between the walk to and from town, and the extra side trips to seek out potential jobs, I know I am getting well over 2 miles of walking in every day. The Hubby would be proud.

After getting home and cooling off a bit, I remembered the futon. I started searching, finally finding it in a closet. "Futon" is a generous description for what I found. The piece of furniture in question turned out to be simply a foam chair with three folding parts, not entirely unlike this thing here. I decided it couldn't be worse than the couch situation though, so I unfolded it and put the memory foam mattress on top of it instead of the couch. Tonight, I would sleep on the floor, a 1-girl sleepover!

Just as I was settling in to get ready for my daily dose of Grimm - I'm almost done with the free 1st season and the 2nd season is not free! Boo! - I heard a knock on the door. The FedEx guy delivered a package from the title company back in Vegas. This gave me something to do while watching TV, sign my name a thousand times on the closing papers for the sale of our Vegas home.

I hope that boat gig turns out to be the job I dream it is. I'll find out tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck on the boat gig, Julie. Keep your head up and try getting a air mattress for camping or something like that with your foam mattress on top. Sleeping good will help you out. Love the pictures and know you're in paradise.

    ReplyDelete