Monday, July 8, 2013

Day 5: Lazy Sunday

I slept in today, sort of. I woke around 6:00 and laid in bed, not expecting to fall asleep. I fell asleep, finally waking around 8:00. The Hubby, who likes to poke fun when I sleep long, sent a good morning text reading only "Sleepyhead."

After breakfast and catching up with the mainlanders via texting, I headed for the Cannery Mall to do a bit of window shopping. I wandered around, popping in and out of shops, making conversation here and there with some of the store clerks. I spotted a cute sundress, then another. I started obsessions over sundresses. I made mental note of 3 or 4 sundresses in the mall that I might return for once I start earning some income.
Keiki Hula at Cannery Mall

I reached the food court just as they were opening up for the day, so I grabbed some fried rice. While I ate, I noticed a sign reading "Saturdays and Sundays, 1pm, Free Keiki Kula Show." After lunch, I searched out the stage and grabbed a seat. The show ran about one hour, with the keiki (Hawaiian for child, literally "the little one") ranging in age from 5 to seventeen years perhaps. The younger they were, the cuter they were - especially the little boys! I snapped as many pictures as I could before the phone started complaining about its dying battery.

Keiki Hula at Cannery Mall
I returned home to recharge the phone. Once the phone was happy again, I rounded up my clothes and made my way toward the laundry facility I had discovered yesterday. Getting used to a shared laundry facility will take some getting used to. It seems nearly all of the apartment and/or condo buildings here have shared laundry facilities. In all of the apartments we rented in the midwest, we had washer and dryer in our apartment.

After standing around a few minutes, a machine opened up. I loaded my soap and clothes and only then did I realize I had forgotten to bring quarters! Glancing around and finding no machine available in the room to make change with, I spied a woman nearby with a ziploc full of quarters sitting on her machine. Thankfully, she was kind enough to make change for me and I fed the washing machine a few quarters. Most of my clothes need hang drying, so I carried my wet clothes back to the apartment and draped them over the shower rod to dry.

I noticed people use all manner of method to transport their clothes to and from the laundry facility. I saw people with pillow cases, suitcases, shopping bags - you name it, someone was probably using it as a laundry basket!
Laundry facility at the apartment

With the chores all done, I threw together a salad for dinner and pulled up the next episode of Grimm. The Hubby and I texted back and forth as I watched the show. Tired of texting, he called. We tried out the Facetime thing on the phones for the first time. He even showed me the doggies! Boy Dog, as is typical for him, seemed to care less that I was talking to him. Blind Dog, however, appeared to recognize my voice. She tilted her head a bit and then started barking, talking story as she likes to do - a lot ;)

The Hubby signed off to grab some sleep. He needs to be at the mechanic with the Jeep bright and early. I watched a few more episodes of Grimm before going to sleep myself after a nice, lazy Sunday.

Tomorrow, it's back to the job hunt!

No comments:

Post a Comment