Wednesday, July 24, 2013

T Minus 66: The Artists

Guava Jam is good, but nowhere near as good as the pineapple preserves. At least I still have the Pineapple Waikiki Black tea to give me a pineapple fix during breakfast.
The sign for the Lahaina
art gallery where I work

Knowing I needed to be at work at noon, I took it easy during the morning. A lot of texting with The Hubby filled the morning and kept me from being bored. We mostly discussed things that need to go done with regard to bringing the dogs back to the island with us in October - paperwork and fees for the state of Hawaii, inspections and fees the day of arrival, flight arrangements and fees, rental car to get them from the airport to apartment when we return to the island. Bringing a dog to Hawaii is not a cheap endeavor.

While getting ready to leave the apartment, I received a call from a restaurant I had applied at. Officially "not hiring" the day I dropped off an application, apparently circumstances had changed and they wanted to see me for an interview. I called them back and scheduled an interview with them - just in case. I wouldn't want to miss a golden opportunity.
The store sign that drew my
interest the other day

I headed out a little early. Lunch, I decided, would be the the "local food" place I found the other day. It's only a half mile from the apartment, which could be good or bad - or both - depending on how today's lunch went. The first to arrive, I ordered a plate lunch with Shoyu Chicken. My eyes bugged out of my head when they presented my food. No way would I be able to eat that much food! After making The Hubby a bit envious with a picture of my lunch, I tackled it the best I could while I watched a line start forming at the counter - popular place. A keiki climbed up on the bench next to me like I was his Auntie or something - cute little guy - adding a little atmosphere to my lunch experience. I'll be eating here again - good food!
My overly large portion of
Shoyu Chicken for lunch

After lunch, I made my way to the gallery for my first day of training at the Lahaina location. Everything runs basically the same at this store, but there are a few differences. First, this location is a lot busier. Second, this location has an actual cash register. Also, this location apparently has artists dropping by frequently.

Today, I met Ian Haight as he set up a mobile studio in the front corner of the gallery and painted while people watched. A while later, I met Bruce Tapley, a silver and goldsmith who told me about the jewelry he makes. After hearing about a matching his & hers bamboo ring set, I instantly knew that was what I wanted for The Hubby and I to replace our wedding bands we don't wear. It was fun getting to meet some of the artists.
The seating arrangements at
"Local Food"

In between artist visits, I learned a few other things about the items we carry. At the end of my short day, I walked home with a study guide on Ni'ihau leis, jewelry, and culture. Ni'ihau is apparently one of the top sellers in the gallery. I also had a 2" thick 3-ring binder categorizing all of our artists by medium. There are jewelers, potters, photographers, painters, and many others. The binder is store property, but I was "invited" to study in my free time.

After work, I intended to go visit West Maui Animal Clinic to see about setting up the arrival day inspection for the pups. Instead, The Hubby derailed me with a request to go to the UPS store for more printing, signing, and faxing of paperwork related to selling the house. As I walked that way, I noticed again the humidity. Even the locals were talking about how extra humid it felt. With no trade winds to help cool you off, it made for a very warm day. I remember hearing that Kihei is the hottest spot on the island. I wondered how they were feeling today.

Between the walk to lunch, work, the UPS store, and back to the apartment, I covered almost 3 miles today. My legs and feet were sore and tired by the time I got home. Of course, with the humidity, I was drenched. I dashed off my normal "hds" text to The Hubby and hopped in the shower.
The Shaka is everywhere!

Last night I finished up season 1 of Orange is the New Black. I needed something new to watch. I started a movie called Jock the Hero Dog but didn't make it past the first 15 minutes. I found a movie called ParaNorman and watched it - cute. I don't know what I will watch tonight.

I'm still waiting for recommendations from you guys for TV shows and movies to check out! Please?

Aloha!

4 comments:

  1. I'm assuming you've already seen all of the usual Netflix suggestions like Breaking Bad, Arrested Development, Freaks and Geeks, etc. Do you prefer comedies, dramas, or what? For a comedy I'd recommend a little off beat British one called The In-Betweeners. For drama you have to watch House of Cards if you haven't already.

    If you like Sci-Fi shows like X-Files, then you need to watch Fringe if you haven't already (not sure if that's available on Netflix, but is on Amazon Prime for free).

    ReplyDelete
  2. JT88Keys
    thanks for the show suggestions!
    J

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Newsroom - AWESOME show on HBO, second season just started :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. HBO? I have Netflix and amazon prime. No real TV.

    ReplyDelete