Tuesday, July 23, 2013

T Minus 67: Paperwork

This waking up at 8am is suiting me more. I'm blaming the 7a wakeups on the change in time zones. I made breakfast, noticing that I was correct yesterday. Today was, indeed, the last of the pineapple preserves. Tomorrow starts guava breakfasts.
Little pineapples growing on
the grounds of the Maui Hyatt

Just as I was finishing up breakfast, my phone rang. 513 area code. No way, I thought to myself. It couldn't be. I hesitantly answered the phone. Sure enough, it was the probate court in Ohio that I'd been trying to reach...and had completely given up hope on them calling me back. They were very helpful, and I should have my certified marriage license here some time next week. Then, it will be back to the - cue menacing music - DMV.

The Hubby and I researched bed frames. Having made the decision to replace out Tempurpedic with a mattress from Amerisleep, we would need a frame to put it on. We didn't make any buying decisions today, but we got a little closer.

Soon, it was time to go sign the lease for our new place. Almost as excited as a kid waking up to learn her parents are taking her to Disneyland, I almost skipped all the way down the road. I still can't believe I found a nice apartment where the owner is OK with both of my furbabies. I think, on this island, that is a very rare thing.

I met the landlord at the picnic area in the condo complex. We tried to talk for a minute or two but a maintenance guy started breaking up a sidewalk with a sledgehammer and we had to relocate. He drove us over to McDonald's where we could sit and talk with less noise, and some A/C. We talked story for a while, mostly about my situation. He even offered me the use of his air bed while I wait on my own bed to get delivered! I was dreading the thought of taking the bus to the Kahului Walmart and carrying an air bed back home. Now, I don't have to worry about it because everyone on the island is super nice!
I finally coaxed my little green
visitor back outside where he blongs

The landlord told me he had some painting touch up to get done on my unit. He also wanted to change out the garbage disposal and then have the clothes dryer fixed or replaced. He said if he finished before August 1, I could move in early. Whenever I move in, he said, I'd find his air bed in the closet waiting for me.

After we parted ways, I walked over to the post office. I had planned to check on my P O Box today, and McD's is very close to the post office. I was surprised to find 2 boxes waiting for me. Expecting only 1 box from The Hubby, I also had a box from mom-in-law. I tore open the box from her and checked out the basket liner she had sewn me for the pink cruiser. Stashing it in my tote bag, I turned my attention to the other box.

I hefted he larger box The Hubby had sent - not too heavy, but bulky and a little awkward for me to carry all the way back to the apartment. Taped to the top of the box was an envelope. I knew what was in there. That was the most important cargo I'd receive for a while - paperwork that needs to be submitted to the state of Hawaii in order to import the puppies.

I lugged the box back over to McD's and ordered a cheeseburger and small fry to go. I ate lunch at a picnic table in front of a closed eatery just down the walk. I needed my energy if I was going to carry this big ol' box 3 long blocks!
The Pink Cruiser with its
new temporary basket liner

As I was walking home, the air felt more humid than it had in the last few days. The sky didn't seem quite as bright either. Maybe a storm is coming, I thought, or maybe it's "the vog." I just learned about "the vog" yesterday - volcano pollution. Saying "the vog" makes it sound menacing like something from a cheesy B-Horror film. "The vog" - created when the volcano farts!

I finally got my box home and was considering a nap when a wrench got thrown into those plans. I apparently needed to sign more paperwork related to the sale of the house in Vegas. I rolled the pink cruiser out the door, with its new temporary basket liner - this one was sewn just to test the fit and so forth - and walked it across the grass while I considered which destination to ride to - Office Depot or the UPS store. Both meant I needed to cross the highway, which made me nervous, but this was important.

I settled on the UPS store, mostly because I had yet to visit that strip mall, or even that area of town, since arriving on the island. I rode to the highway, waited at the crosswalk before walking the pink cruiser across the 4-lane road - I found myself uncomfortable with riding across that much traffic - and then rode the short distance to the UPS store. I fired up my email, printed the document, signed it, and faxed it off to the realtor.

On my ride back to the apartment, I found two new places that drew my interest. The first was a place called Maui Tacos. The second place, with what looked like only a walk-up window and 2 picnic benches on a small concrete slab, had a sign that simply read "Local food." I made note to come back to both one day, especially the local food place - the little hole-in-the-wall joints always seem to have the best food! I also need to go back to grab pictures, something I didn't do today because I was riding and didn't stop.

By the time I got home, I was soaked. My legs were a bit angry, too, but they seemed slightly less achy than after my last ride. I grabbed the phone, typed "hds" and hit send. Yes, I do this same routine so often that I stored a shortcut in my phone. "hds" = "Home. Drenched. Shower. 10" I found I was sending that exact same message to The Hubby nearly every day to let him know I'd be unavailable for 10 minutes or so, so I shortened it to three letters to make it easier to send.

After my shower, I diced up some Spam, broccoli, and carrots to stir in with my Ramen. I've been experimenting with flavors each night, too. Did you know Louisiana Hot Sauce and Teriyaki sauce go well together? Now, you do. I never measure, so don't ask me how much of each. I just throw it together and enjoy!

I grabbed the tablet to watch some more Orange Is The New Black. I had been watching every night on my laptop but that's no longer possible. The power brick for the laptop fried itself. The battery holds a charge for an hour at most. When it's idle. And turned off. It's old, nearly 10 years old. It can't be upgraded any more, is held together with duct tape - white duct tape to make it less inconspicuous, but it is held together with duct tape. Closing the lid causes the bezel around the monitor to flex and nearly pop off. The letters on the keyboard are all but rubbed off. This this has issues, but it's been good for watching TV shows on every night.
By the way, if any of you have a MacBook power brick you're not using, or know of anyone who does, I'd be ever so grateful if you send it my way. It'd be worth a beer or two if you ever come visit Maui! 
My tiny 7" screen I get to
do everything on for 2 months
So, I watched Orange on my tiny 7" screen. I wish there was an Apple store nearby. I know I could take the power brick in, look at the tech and say "WTF," and walk out with a new one gratis. They really do have some kick-ass customer service at that place.

Tomorrow will be exciting. Tomorrow, I train at the gallery in Lahaina. It's slightly larger than the gallery in Ka'anapali. I'm looking forward to learning more about the artists we represent. It's fun, exciting, and...yay, money!

Aloha!

No comments:

Post a Comment