Saturday, July 20, 2013

T Minus 70: Hakuna Matata

I grabbed my phone as soon as my eyes opened, searching my call history for the probate court back in Ohio. I got voicemail and left yet another message. I texted The Hubby. "I'd say start planning a wedding." I hold little hope of ever hearing back from the fine public servants in a country probate court.
Sitting on the seawall making
hats out of palm fronds

My next call was to my previous employer's benefits hotline. I need to roll my 401(k) over no later than August 9 or else they automatically put it into some weird account that I don't really have any control over. Of course, I long ago forgot my password and now I find out the only way to get a new password is for them to send one to me in the mail, in an envelope with a stamp on it even. I hope it gets here in time for me to do what I want to do.

Today, I intended to not think about apartments. I intended to go meet the gallery manager in Ka'anapali and do little else. I think island time is starting to slowly become the norm for my life. I like it.

I walked up to the Cannery Mall to catch a bus headed for Ka'anapali. Normally, I walk to the Wharf Cinema Center to catch a bus but I decided to walk the other way today for some reason. As I walked through the mall, glancing in various stores at some of the dresses I'd made note to buy when I had a job, I texted The Hubby to see if I might be able to buy a couple this weekend. He suggested, wisely, that I wait until the house closes so that we don't risk not having enough money for a deposit or whatever on an apartment should we get lucky this weekend.

Instead of window shopping, I found a shaded bench to sit on while I waited for the bus. Suddenly, from around the corner, a very big, happy - and WET - golden retriever came bounding towards me to say hello. I didn't get a chance to take his picture before his owner caught up to corral him. He reminded me how much I miss my own fur kids.
The skeleton of a sperm whale
in the center of Whalers Village

The bus arrived and we made our way to Ka'anapali. I hopped off at Whalers Village, a shopping center nestled among the many time shares and resorts that make up Ka'anapali Beach. My ultimate destination for the day lie in one of those resorts, the Hyatt. I dreaded the walk I thought I would have to take to get from Whalers Village over to the Hyatt, so I was a bit ecstatic to learn that there was a trolley I would be able to ride to reach the resort. First, though, I wanted lunch. I checked the trolley schedule, making note of the time I needed to catch a trolley, and headed into the shopping center to find something to eat.

On the ground floor, I found the food court that we had eaten at while visiting on vacation last year. Subway, Pizza, Mr Sub's, a couple other places but nothing that sounds really good. I finally settled on some nachos from Mr. Subs. Nachos sounded good, up until I stared at the plate after sitting down. I ate them - they were edible but very blah - while feeling bad that I didn't get the healthier Subway option.

After lunch, I reached the trolley station just before the driver was about to pull away. I discovered that the stop for the Hyatt isn't actually at the resort but the walk wasn't far. Once inside, I wandered around searching for the gallery.

Finding it, I walked in and asked for Maureen, the manager. She greeted me with a hug! Ohana spirit, indeed. We talked about the store and my situation, and she asked if I might come back tomorrow to start training. Trying to contain my excitement, I told her that of course I could be there tomorrow. She sent me off with another hug!

Tomorrow, I train with the intent being that I will work the Friday and Saturday evening shifts from 3-9. Yes, that's right, 6-hour shifts. I like the sound of that! Plus, next week I will train at the Lahaina location with Jeska. I. Am. So. Excited!
Pink flowers - maybe
an aechmea?

After my meeting, I headed along the walkway towards the trolley. Along the way, I found some gorgeous pink flowers, a cool statuary, and a great mountain view across the golf course. I remembered to snap pictures of all of them.

The trolley returned me to Whalers Village where I picked up the bus for the ride back to Lahaina.

After getting home and cooling off for a bit, I needed to get a few things done that The Hubby asked me to do during out texting while I rode the bus. First, I needed to call the apartment complex that had approved us earlier in the week and tell them we were no longer interested. The Hubby found their lease agreement less than ideal and refused to sign it. We lost our holding deposit, but we chalked that up to a learning experience. Hakuna Matata!

That done, I needed to ship a few things to The Hubby and I needed to make sure he would have it before he leaves Vegas. That meant a somewhat pricey FedEx bill, but USPS was no longer an option. All mail to our Vegas address gets forwarded here to Hawaii starting on Monday.
Statue on the grounds
of the Maui Hyatt
On the way home, I stopped in the market to grab a bottle of water. I wanted a beer. I came this --><-- close to buying some beer, but I stopped myself. Until we actually close on the house, I want to save money.

The closing on the house was causing me a few uneasy feelings. The closing was scheduled for Monday. This morning, the buyer's loan still hadn't received underwriting approval so there would be no closing on Monday. I'm sure we seem very rash and foolish to most people, me dashing off to Hawaii without the house actually being sold, The Hubby stashing everything in a storage unit and preparing to drive all over the country. Other people, I'm sure, would have waited to do all this until the closing of the sale. We are not other people. We've always done things our way, and we always make it work. Maika'i Ola (roughly, Life Is Good).
A view of Mauna Kahalawai
(West Maui Mountains) over
the golf course near the Maui Hyatt

Missing my family, I suggested to The Hubby that we fire up FaceTime once again. He held the phone at puppy level so I could get a good look at the little ones. Lexi, our blind dog, gets visibly confused when she hears my voice and dashes to and fro, unsure why she can't find me. Ricky, the boy dog, seems like he couldn't care less that I'm talking to him over the phone - he always has been The Hubby's boy. I like getting to see their faces, especially The Hubby's!

I finished up my day eating the fresh mango my friend gave me from her orchard while I watched a few more episodes of Orange Is the New Black. These TV shows keep my mind occupied on these lonely evenings.

Aloha!

No comments:

Post a Comment